Protective Registration: Preventing Identity Fraud
Our Protective Registration service is a defence against identity fraud for anyone with good reason to think they're at risk, for example:
- People who have recently lost personal documents, or had them stolen;
- Customers of organisations that recently lost or leaked sensitive data;
- Anyone who has been advised by the police that they're at risk.
Protective Registration is available for:
- Individuals who want to protect themselves;
- Organisations who want to protect their customers or staff.
How Protective Registration Works
When you request Protective Registration, or an organisation requests it for you, we place a warning flag against your name and other personal details in our National Fraud Database.
This tells the hundreds of organisations that use Cifas data to pay special attention when your details are used to apply for their products or services. Knowing you're at risk, they'll carry out extra checks to make sure it's really you applying, and not a fraudster using your details.