Disclosure: Understanding the Criminal Procedures and Investigations Act 1996
Why should I choose Disclosure: Understanding the Criminal Procedures and Investigations Act 1996
A number of high profile investigations have failed due to poor understanding of how to disclose materials under the Criminal Procedures and Investigations Act (CPIA) 1996. Make sure your investigations don't fall at the courtroom door by gaining an essential and thorough understanding of the Act and what you need to comply with.
What will you learn?
This specialist course will give you a detailed knowledge and understanding of the Criminal Procedures and Investigations Act 1996, starting with the history of the Act itself. You’ll understand how disclosure is integral to all stages of the criminal justice system - from investigation, to case building, to prosecution. You’ll learn about the vulnerable areas of investigation targeted by defence teams, and the different types of materials and how to disclose them – including cyber forensics and digital evidence.
What skills will you gain?
- A thorough and detailed understanding of the Act: its history, role and importance in the criminal justice system;
- Understand the different types of material you will use and how to manage them in an investigation, including strategies for voluminous and digital material;
- Examine the role of Cyber Forensics and develop a Digital Evidence Plan;
- Debate the elements of the four R’s; Retain, Record, Reveal and Review;
- Apply the principles of case law in R v R and Other 2015;
- Explain the principals of the Relevance Test and the Disclosure Test;
- Evaluate what material is required to be revealed to the Defence;
- Calculate the requirements of important elements - the Defence Case Statement, Section Eight applications, and the continuing duty to review material.
Who should attend this course?
If you undertake or have responsibility for investigations, this course is essential. It is also excellent 'add-on' specialist knowledge to the portfolio of any fraud and financial crime professional.
Course duration and fee
One day. Cifas members £280. Non members £295
Book Disclosure: Understanding the Criminal Procedures Investigations Act 1996 course now
Contact the team for more information