Help to stop identity fraud before it happens!
If you are at risk of becoming a victim of identity fraud (e.g. through the recent theft or loss of personal documents, previous incidents as a victim of fraud, recommendations from police or loss of sensitive data), CIFAS Protective Registration is an easy step you can take to protect yourself.
When you request 'Protective Registration', a warning 'flag' marked Protective Registration will then be placed on the CIFAS National Fraud Database against your name and personal details to indicate that you have been recorded at your own request for your protection. This alerts any organisation dealing with applications for a range of products and services, and that uses CIFAS data, that you are at risk, and that they must undertake additional checks to verify whether or not an application is genuine.
This way, you can be sure that checks are being made in order to stop you from becoming a victim of identity fraud.
Simple, easy, benefits - for just £20
CIFAS Protective Registration offers some simple, easy benefits:
- Stops identity fraud at the point of application.
- A one off annual fee of £20. No ongoing monthly premiums.
- Does not affect your credit score.
- Prevention of fraud, not insurance against the losses caused by it.
- Recognised by nearly 300 public and private sector organisations*.
- Quick and easy application process with no additional sales or marketing calls.
- The Protective Registration will remain for a year, but you can request the removal of the Protective Registration by writing to the address below.
- Also available for directors whose company is at risk of corporate identity fraud and against the name of any deceased party (by a relative or executor) who may be at risk of impersonation attempts.
How can I apply?
Once the form is complete, return it to the following address:
CIFAS Protective Registration
Bankhead Crossway South
Alternatively, to apply for CIFAS Protective Registration, you can telephone the Order Line on 0330 100 0180 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday). (Please only use this telephone number for ordering Protective Registration - the staff on that number cannot help with any other CIFAS-related queries. Please also have your credit or debit card with you before you telephone.)
If you are not seeking protection from Identity Fraud, but simply wish to report a fraud:
- first, contact any organisation you know to be involved (e.g. you bank, if it is a cheque fraud, or your credit card company, if it is a credit card fraud, etc.)
- then, if necessary, telephone Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 (www.actionfraud.police.uk).
For all other CIFAS queries, please click here.